Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Matthew Tully?

In Journalism, we read three articles by Indianapolis Star writer Matthew Tully. They all tied to Manual High School, possible one of the worst high schools in the state of Indiana. I found Tully's writing enjoyable and satisfying. The stories weren't boring. The writer made shocking statistics ever more shocking, without depicting Manual as a place of death and decay. He made it human and as I could connect to it. The writing was detailed and evoking, nevermind the fact that the stories themselves were gripping. Tully is obviously an intellectual. But I doubt he's the stuck-up type. I doubt this because I can see the writer reflected in his writing. And his devotion to helping Brent Jones proves that Tully has not only a brain, but also a heart. Jones' story is intersting enough. Tully's writing makes it all the more amazing and inspiring. It's as if his articles are alive. And a live story is so much better than a dead one.
Kudos to you, Mr. Tully.

No comments:

Post a Comment